So I've been spending quite a bit of time with Colin in the last few weeks as Reena has been committed almost entirely to work and Miss Saigon. Yes, that includes sleeping in bed, breakfast, daycare drop off and pickup, dinner, bedtime, the whole nine yards. Now that I have a second to myself, I found myself remembering some of the conversations we've had, and they're pretty hilarious...
Colin: "I'm mad at you."
Me: "Why are you mad at me? What did I do?"
Colin: "I don't like how you're acting up!"
(Apparently I was acting up when I decided to shove his foot off the keyboard earlier when he decided to press the keys with his toes as I was typing.)
-------------------------------
[Colin and I get out of the truck and walk towards Target]
Colin: [In a computerized, robotic tone] "We have arrived at our destination."
(After several weeks of GPS voice prompts in the truck, he has evidently learned how to speak like Spok from Star Trek.)
-------------------------------
[Inside Target...Colin picks out a pink stuffed animal dog for Reena for Valentine's Day]
Colin: "Ruff, row, row, bow, ruff" (And other dog sounds much like the sounds Blue makes from Blue's Clues.)
Stuffed Animal: "Ruff, ruff, row, row, bow, ruff..." [Similar sounds like Blue]
(This conversation goes back and forth for about 10 minutes. I guess Colin has also learned to speak Dog.)
-------------------------------
(Almost every night while Reena is at rehearsal, dinner time becomes an adventure, most nights, I give up and ask where are we going to eat out tonight.)
Me: "Alright, Daddy doesn't know what to cook... what restaurant do you want, Mexican?"
Colin: "I don't want Mexican. I want Sushi."
(Something you won't hear from your typical 3 year old. Sushi restaurant means he gets rice and chicken, and no, we don't feed our son raw fish, so no need to call social services!)
-------------------------------
[Yesterday]
Colin: "Daddy, can we give mommy's doggy to mommy for Valentine's Day."
Me: "No son, it's a surprise, we have to wait until Valentine's Day."
[Several thousand times more of this conversation throughout the day... and finally at night]
Me: "Okay fine...you can give the dog to mommy."
(Afterwards, I discuss with Reena that apparently two days prior is not enough time to keep secrets and surprises inside a 3 year old.)
[Fast forward to today]
Brian: "Okay Colin. these flowers are for mommy for Valentine's Day and for the show tomorrow, okay. We have to wait until tomorrow!"
Colin: "Okay daddy, we won't tell mommy the surprise. But I really want to make her feel better."
Brian: "No Colin, you already gave her the doggy, these flowers are from me, we'll give them to her tomorrow."
Colin: "Okay."
[While Reena and Colin are upstairs...I go outside to secretly pluck the flowers from the truck. Just then, I see my son peeking out the window staring at me. A sickening feeling overcomes me... I go back inside to move the flowers to the garage]
Colin: [Loudly] "Daddy, I didn't tell mommy about the flowers. I waited for the surprise. I didn't tell mommy about the flowers."
[Needless to say, cover blown. Lesson learned, no surprise is safe with a 3 year old.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment